Thursday 27 June 2013

Inaugural Post

This is my fourth blog.  When I have a blog I like to make sure it is dedicated to one very specific topic.  This is both for aesthetic reasons and because without a specific topic to stick to I would be tempted to write about everything all the time.  I've tried writing those posts, they don't really work.

There is nothing that I am doing right now with such obsessiveness that I could really fill a blog about it the way I used to.  My World of Warcraft blog was filled with very detailed analysis of individual spells, talents and boss fights from the narrow perspective of a 10-player raider in the Wrath of the Lich King days.  My blog about regulatory burden in Ontario law was intended to be a useful sharing of ideas for a handful of colleagues doing the same kind of work.  My blog about Glitch was intended to fill a void of mathematical analysis in that game.

But I stopped playing World of Warcraft, the project I was working on regarding regulatory analysis expired, and Glitch, sadly, passed away.

I tried to keep my Glitch blog going after the death of Glitch but I ended up posting about mortgage rates.  I needed a new focus.

So here I am.  I miss writing about things, and I miss particularly doing the analysis of things that backs up the writing.  It's all well and good to explain my feelings but making the spreadsheets that rationally justify those feelings is where it's really at.  Since the depth of analysis I am interested in is rarely of any use in the real world - and is little other than depressing when applied to the real world - I decided it would be more worthwhile to focus on games.

Right now I am playing Don't Starve, Diablo 3 and Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014.  I also watch a lot of Magic, a little bit of Starcraft 2 and League of Legends, and a fair amount of walkthroughs of console games online.  If any of that interests you then I might interest you as well.

In my past blogs, I have sometimes employed footnotes to elaborate on certain points.  Because of technical problems that these notes create, I've decided that a better way to make parenthetical comments is to use tooltips.  As you can see, I'm putting text with tooltips in purple so that you don't have to hunt for them.

Since no one is reading I won't go on any longer.  If somehow you are actually there, I hope that you either enjoy my blog or find something else to do instead.

Humbabella

1 comment:

  1. Hiya ~

    Still reading although I'm not gaming.

    ~ Pascale (the Glitch)

    ReplyDelete