Monday 19 August 2013

Plants vs. Zombies 2 is Here

A game that we've all been waiting years to play has finally hit... iOS.

Plants vs. Zombies 2 is Plants vs. Zombies so it's great.  Unfortunately for those without iPads it is also very small.  And worse yet, it is free.  I would be very, very happy to pay $12.99 or $19.99 or even more to simply purchase this game for my PC and play it without any prompts for me to spend cash and with everything unlockable by playing the game.

I don't know how many whales they are going to catch with their freemium pay model, but given the outrageous popularity and fame of the first game, it is hard for me to imagine that they couldn't make more charging by everyone who wants to play it $15 than hoping that people spend more than that on average on upgrades.

This isn't my only complaint.  Because they use real money to unlock things, the coins you collect in the game appear to be useful only for buying power-ups during levels.  Not buying things between levels is a real step down, since buying upgrades is tons of fun.

I'm not sure if I am going to give them any money or not.  For a while I figured that if I liked a free-to-play game then I would decide how much money the game was worth to me and buy exactly that amount of upgrades.  But the choice of upgrades I am faced with in this game is a little disheartening.  I really don't know which I would prefer to buy and because I'm only doing it once I don't want to make a mistake.  I feel like if someone's monetization scheme makes me feel uncomfortable that is a good reason for me not to buy into it.  Maybe they will learn to make better monetizations schemes in the future - like, I don't know, selling me the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment