Thursday 4 December 2014

What Kind of Torontonian are You?

Someone forwarded me a quiz, hosted by the Toronto Star, that places you on a rather nuanced political spectrum. It has eight categories to sort you into:
  • Post-Materialist Left
  • Anti-Establishment Left
  • Social Democratic Left
  • Laissez-Faire Left
  • Faith and Family Right
  • Heritage Right
  • Libertarian Right
  • Steadfast Right
Those who know me can probably guess which of those I fit into pretty easily, though I can see it coming down to two. For each category you can get some information like the proportion of survey participants who fit into that category, the average age of people in that category, the ratio of males to females in that category. The ages are pretty old, with the youngest average age being 36. I guess that just says something about who reads the Star.

I fit into the youngest, poorest, most female of the categories. It told me I was least like the category that was the oldest, wealthiest and malest.

Now, I had to lie a few times. At one stage it asks you to rate some different things against one another and I lied and said that taxes weren't important to me. Taxes are important to me, but I assumed that it would interpret me saying that as saying I want taxes to be lower. I want them to be higher and more progressive. And that's not just to pay for more programs, just all other things being equal we should raise taxes.

But the weirdest thing about the survey is that one of the statements for you to agree or disagree with is "There are more than two genders." Then after you go through all the questions it asks you if you are a man or a woman. Come on! I think it would be really neat if it determined which options to give you based on your answer to that question. If you pick "Strongly Agree" then it asks if you are a man or woman, if you pick "Slightly Agree" or "Slight Disagree" then it asks Man, Woman or Other. If you pick "Strongly Disagree" then it gives you 20-some choices. I would have done that, it would have been a lot of fun.

Anyway, I like doing surveys and I like be fitted into categories I've never been fitted into before. If you'd like to take it here. It is definitely directed at Torontonians, though, it's not really very global.

1 comment: