Monday 9 January 2017

Quick Note to Everyone

Until recently I would have told you I was male. I have presented myself as male my whole life and I have never had anyone misgender me as female when they could see me. I am very male-bodied.

Four women have asked me for advice on feminine hygiene products (cups and reusable pads). That is, they thought, "I need advice on this product to catch menstrual blood, I'm going to ask that man I know." For clarity, I have not studied the subject and have no credentials.

Three women have told me about a time when they were sexually assaulted.

When men don't seem to get the prevalence of sexual assault - the number of women who have been sexually assaulted and how it has affected their lives - I want to say to them, "How many women have asked you for advice about feminine hygiene products?"

Because while I know my experience can't be at all representative, I still can't help but feeling: If the answer is zero, what makes you think a woman has ever been comfortable enough around you that she would tell you her story?

1 comment:

  1. i dunno.

    i have never asked anyone advice about feminine hygiene products.

    i have told dozens of people about my assault.

    ymmv.

    ReplyDelete